Sunday, March 20, 2016

Some random thoughts

No pictures in this one.

I got my first DSLR about a year and a half ago for a project I was working on. I figured that I could master it in a week or so and then get back to the original project...since then, I have lost the data for the book I was trying to put together and totally focused on photography. I guess I'm gonna have to restart it soon.

At any rate, I am fortunate enough to have a local shop that I get most of my equipment from. So far, I have bought several lenses and two camera bodies as well as most of the accessories like memory chips, lens cleaner and stuff. The first camera was a Canon 40D which performed exceptionally for the whole time I used it. The only reason I replaced it was because the shutter count was way above 100,000. Just a little while ago, I bought my Canon 7D, which I traded for cash and the 40D.

 I'm gonna suggest anyone who is interested in photography find a local dealer and develop a relationship with them. The benefits of face to face contact are beyond anything which you can get online. It seems that every time I walk into the shop, I get so much more then a camera body, lens or even memory chip. I can ask a technical question, and we will talk it through until my dull brain comprehends all aspects of the subject. I see the sales guys do this for anyone who comes in. Also, they print in house and will do Photoshop improvements if I want. All for competitive pricing compared to online printing---most of the time same day!

Gonna throw in a plug here: http://ballphotosupply.com. They have an online presence, which I know nothing about, but they may have what you are looking for. I am not sure about prices, though I check on line before buying something expensive, in most cases however, I think I get a comparable price to other venues. For the convenience of having a local shop and the educational value of having a relationship, I am willing to go to a brick and mortar store. 

So, these are my thoughts.


olc

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whadduya'think. Please leave a comment about my picture or description