Sunday, April 16, 2017

Rambling thoughts

I guess I have rounded out my photo kit. It is a pretty nice one too, consisting of Canon 7D and 5D bodies, a couple  Tamron lenses, 28-75, F2.8 and a 90mm F2.8 Macro. I also use a Canon 24-105  F4 and a Sigma 17-35 F2.8-4. In addition to that hardware I use a bunch of Yongnuo flash units, a few stands and some umbrellas. Just the other day, the mailman brought me a backdrop system (which I have looked at, but not used yet). I admit the whole system is dated by modern standards, but I like to think I have gotten quality equipment at a good price.

Now, of course I have a wish-list of gadgets I want to have in my bag, but believe it or not I am quite happy with camera bodies. They are bare bones cameras, no wifi connections, no GPS, though that might be kinda nice to have, though I know where I am when I take a picture. And I really don't want to get into video yet, though I guess the 7D has that capability. Perhaps a higher ISO for the 5D would be nice.

As for lenses, I want to upgrade the Sigma wide zoom to a Canon, or Tamron. I don't like the variable Aperture so much. When I shoot at the zoomed-out side, a smaller F/number is not so important, but still.... Of course, I want to upgrade the Tamron 28-75 to a 24-70, but that is for the future.

My lighting kit is a little short, it will be nice to get a boom arm which will accommodate a flash and some kind of hair light solution. Getting a couple soft boxes will be a good addition and of course flash guns, or maybe an LED constant light system. In reality though, I'll need to earn some money before making any major investment on any upgrades (BIG sigh!)

My main camera body is the 7D, though I want to get to using full frame sensor of the 5D too. I saw the 5D on Craigslist ad and offered less than the asking price. And he took the money. At first, I thought maybe I had gotten taken and the camera was not working, but all I had to do was learn to use it!

I shot a similar scene with both cameras. Out of the camera, with no editing at all, the richness of the 5D was astounding! With some editing, I am able to do the same with the 7D. I guess, I will use the 5D for portraiture and more artsy stuff, while the 7D will be for street and natural outside shoots. The extra reach of  the cropped frame makes taking telephoto pictures easier. However, the Depth of field with the 5D is so much better, and I hope that someday soon I'll be able to use it to my models benefit!

7D



5D


Now, what is the purpose of this rant? Oh, I am not sure, really. I felt the need to write something and this is what came out.


olc.

P.S. any Patrons out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whadduya'think. Please leave a comment about my picture or description